Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Intense 2 weeks

Less than 3 weeks until the triathlon! Yikes... so I'm now in the last 2 weeks of really being able to train hard. I'm planning on the week before the race being a "taper" week with very little training.

On Sunday, I did a "test swim" in the pool by swimming the entire race distance (1100 yards/.62 miles). I managed to complete it in about 25 minutes..with only about 100 meters of breaststroke as a "breathing break". Taking into account other swimmers and the fact that it may be a bit choppy in the open water, I'm hoping to finish the swim part of the tri under 30 minutes.

I rode 15 miles on my new bike Monday night! I love it! I cut 10 minutes off my time from the week before on the same course. Who says that technology can't make you faster?? I'd like to finish the bike part of the tri in 1:15.

Today, I went for a run on the treadmill at work. I ran the entire race distance (3.4 miles). I averaged about 11 minute miles. I'll take that for the race, for sure. My goal is to finish the run in about 40 minutes.

Adding those together and including transitions, I think I'd like to complete the whole tri in 2:45 or under. We'll see...I think that's a conservative goal, but considering I've never done one of these, who knows what will happen?!?!

No comments: