Monday, November 2, 2009

Weekend Running Round-Up

Whew! I logged a lot of miles this weekend! Actually, all of my miles for the week were logged this weekend. I was supposed to run 3 or 4 on Thursday, but after a stomach virus felled me on Tuesday and Wednesday, I decided to take Thursday easy and save my energy for the weekend. No relapses for me!

Saturday, I had planned on running with the 10K class I occasionally help out with. However, a strange noise in my brakes made me re-think that and decide to take my car in to get it checked out instead. If I weren't training for something, I would have just called my Saturday run off, but with this Goofy Training I knew I had to get it in! So, I dropped my car off, informed them that I was off to run 8 miles and to call me with the diagnosis. I thought I made it clear that I was technically "waiting", but I'm not sure they got that. I ran from West St in Annapolis to downtown, city dock, over to the Academy, through West Annapolis, by the Naval Academy Stadium and back to West St...all in the rain! I cut the run short to 6 miles because I hadn't heard from the car place. It was actually a pretty easy and enjoyable run, even with the rain. Luckily, nothing major was wrong with my car! The men in the shop kept laughing at me though...and were amazed that I was training for a marathon!

Sunday, my Goofy partner and I had planned on running 17 miles in DC. However, waking up to rain changed our minds, and we headed up to the B&A trail. The extra hour of sleep helped tremendously! I felt pretty good through 11 miles, got a little tired around 15...and was ridiculously happy to finish 17. The last 2 I was forcing myself to keep going. I think I could have gone farther, but was mentally only prepared for 17! Thankfully, it started to clear up about an hour or so into the run. We averaged almost 12 minute miles, which is my target pace for the race. I took 2 Gus during the run, and had a pumpkin tart at our 11 mile water stop. Afterwards, we refueled at a local grill/bar while watching NFL.

My total mileage for the week was around 23 miles. Next week I'll be jumping to 27...which is technically 1 mile more than the recommended 10% increase. I think I'll be ok, though. Not much I could do about being sick...!

This week's planned runs include 3 miles on Tuesday/Thursday, a 5 mile race plus 4 on Saturday (for a total of 9), and 12 miles on Sunday. 12 seems easy at this point...

No comments: