Thursday, October 29, 2009

Update on Last Week's Runs

Last week, on Tuesday I had a very fast and easy, if dark, 4 miles around my neighborhood. The temperature was perfect, about 59, and I had a really easy time breathing. Oh, if only all runs could be that easy!

Sunday, we had 16 miles on the schedule for Goofy training. My training partner has run in a costume for the Halloween 5K in Annapolis for the past few years, and she didn't want to give that up this year. So, the first 3.1 miles of our run were in the 5K race. No matter how hard I tried to keep myself slow, the best I could do was an 11:02 pace. And that was running 2/1 Galloway. After the race, we had a quick break while she got her award, and I planted water, gatorade, and snacks about 4 miles into our 13 mile out and back from the 5K location. We ran from West Annapolis over the Naval Academy Bridge (we walked the hill part to save our legs!), up 450 to Boulters Way, connected up with the B&A trail, ran to mile 3.5 of the trail, and turned around. Our water stops ended up being at miles 4 and 9 of the 13.

It was a stunning day, cool and clear with eye-popping leaf color everywhere! Despite the hills on this route, I felt great for most of the way. My legs were a little tired at the end, but that is to be expected. For the last 13 miles, we averaged about 12 minute miles, including our bridge uphill walks. I was really happy with finishing the run, though.

My first run of this week will be a 3-4 miler tonight. This weekend is a double-header with 8 planned on Saturday, and 17 on Sunday. The 17 will hopefully be a "scenic monument tour" in DC if the weather holds up. I've mapped out a good course around the Mall, Mt. Vernon Trail, Roosevelt Island, Eastern Market, and a little bit of downtown DC. I am hoping I am up to all of this since I contracted a nasty stomach bug on Tuesday, and am just now back at work and recovered. With proper nutrition and sleep, though, I think I will be just fine!

No comments: