Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Training in the Rain...It's What Happens When You've Committed to a Marathon!

Here in Maryland, we had 4 straight days of rain from Thursday through Sunday morning. Of course, all of my training runs for the week were planned during that time. The temps were also in the 40s, so it was a cold rain.

Thursday evening wasn't too bad. I ran about 4 miles around my house. It actually felt pretty good since I was rested and had managed to find my good rain jacket.

Saturday, I was in Baltimore with my boyfriend and had planned on running 7 miles on the NCR trail while he biked on the trail. We woke up Saturday morning to a very steady, cold rain. I wanted to back out, but he wouldn't let me. Good man. :) It was cold and rainy, but once I got going on the trail, I warmed up and it wasn't too bad. Even in the rain, the trail was lovely. It runs along a river, and most of the trees had begun to change colors. One of the high school cross country teams was on the trail, too. I felt sorry for them...I was at least there somewhat voluntarily! It actually was a pretty easy 7 miles out and back. We'll be back on that trail sometime near the end of December.

Sunday, it wasn't really raining anymore, which was nice. I had asked my training partner if we could wait until 2 PM to run so I could get back from Baltimore and recover from a 6 course meal with wine pairings the night before. Even though we waited 'til 2 I still felt ridiculously heavy from the meal. We also chose a hilly route for our 10 miles, so it was a hard run. We walked more than normal, but we finished. Her legs were tired from a hilly run the day before, so at least we were sort of in the same boat.

My last 2 weekends of long runs have taught me that I need to eat better the night before a long run, and get a fair amount of rest!

This week, I have 4 miles on Tuesday and Thursday, Saturday off (my parents are in town), and then 16 miles on Sunday. Sunday will be made up of a 5K Halloween race followed by 13 miles around Annapolis and the B&A trail.

No comments: